Mac OS X
Recommended Downloads – Latest Version of Audacity
- Audacity 2.1.2 .dmg file (33.1 MB, includes help files)
- Audacity 2.1.2 .zip file (13.2 MB, smaller, but no help files)
- Audacity 2.1.1-screen-reader .dmg file (38.6 MB, accessible version and for OS X 10.5, includes help files)
- Audacity 2.1.1-screen-reader .zip file (16.5 MB, accessible version and for OS X 10.5, no help files)
Version 2.1.2 of Audacity is not accessible for visually impaired users who use VoiceOver, and is not suitable for OS X 10.5 either, so we provide the similar but slightly older 2.1.1-screen-reader version instead. We do plan to make Audacity accessible on Mac again in the future. We’re catching up with changes in the libraries we use.
- Double-click the downloaded DMG to mount it.
- Do not double-click the “Audacity” folder in the DMG window. Drag the entire “Audacity” folder icon to the /Applications folder icon on the right (or to any other location of your choosing).
- Eject the DMG at bottom left of Finder, then launch Audacity.app from the “Audacity” folder in /Applications or from your chosen location.
Known Issue: Security settings on OS X 10.7 or later may block Audacity being launched. Most users on OS X 10.9.5 and later will experience this, due to changes made by Apple.
- To permanently enable Audacity launch, right-click or control-click on the Audacity application in Finder, choose “Open”, then in the dialog box that appears, choose “Open”.
Plug-ins and Libraries
- LADSPA plug-ins zip file – over 90 plug-ins.
- Plug-Ins – Download additional effects and filters.
- LAME MP3 encoder – Allows Audacity to export MP3 files.
- FFmpeg import/export library – Allows Audacity to import and export many additional audio formats such as AC3, AMR(NB), M4A and WMA, and to import audio from video files.
Alternative Download Links
- Google Code hosts selected previous versions up to and including Audacity 2.0.5.
Audacity Nightly Builds
- For advanced users, Nightly Builds are available for testing purposes. These are alpha builds from latest development code. Your help in testing and reporting bugs in these builds is invaluable. Note: These builds will definitely be less reliable than official releases. They should not be used as your production version of Audacity.
Audacity for Mac is a Universal Binary for OS X 10.6 and later. Audacity runs best with at least 1 GB RAM and a 1 GHz processor (2 GB RAM/2 GHz on OS X 10.7 and later).
For lengthy multi-track projects, we recommend a minimum of 2 GB RAM and 2 GHz processor (4 GB RAM on OS X 10.7 and later).
- The 2.1.1 release was the final release for PPC Macs.