Recommended Downloads – Latest Version of Audacity
Left-click the text link to start the download
Plug-ins and Libraries
- LADSPA plug-ins 0.4.15 installer (.exe file, 1.4 MB) – Contains over 90 plug-ins. View Checksum.
- Plug-Ins – Download additional effects and filters.
- LAME MP3 encoder – Allows Audacity to export MP3 files.
- FFmpeg import/export library – Allows Audacity to import and export many additional audio formats such as AC3, AMR(NB), M4A and WMA, and to import audio from video files.
Alternative Download Links
- Google Code hosts selected previous versions up to and including Audacity 2.0.5.
- For advanced users, nightly builds are available for testing purposes. Nightly builds are alpha builds from latest development code. Your help in testing and reporting bugs in these builds is invaluable. Note: These builds will definitely be less reliable than official releases. They should not be used as your production version of Audacity.
Windows 10 is supported, but Audacity 2.1.2 requires that all enabled devices have Windows 10-compatible drivers designed for the device. This should be the case for the built-in sound device of a new computer that came with Windows 10.
If you encounter “Internal PortAudio Error” and Audacity sees no devices, please try the Windows 2.1.3-alpha Nightly Builds which should allow all compatible devices to be recognised. Please see our complete Windows 10 page if you need more help with obtaining suitable Windows 10 audio drivers for your device.
The values in the recommended RAM/processor speed column below are for tasks like recording for an hour, or editing three 20-minute tracks simultaneously. The values in the minimum RAM/processor speed column will be fine for smaller/shorter tasks, especially if unnecessary programs are closed.
|Windows version||recommended RAM/
||4 GB / 2 GHz||2 GB / 1 GHz|
||4 GB / 2 GHz||1 GB / 1 GHz|
||2 GB / 1 GHz||512 MB / 1 GHz|
|512 MB/1 GHz||128 MB/300 MHz|
Audacity works best on computers meeting more than the minimum requirements stated above. For lengthy multi-track projects, we recommend using machines of substantially higher specification than the minimums.
Older versions of Windows/old hardware
For Windows 98, ME and 2000, also for XP without the final Service Pack see Legacy Windows Downloads.