Download the free Audacity audio editor for Windows, Mac or Linux from our download partner, FossHub:
Audacity is free of charge. No registration or hardware purchase required.
- Audacity on Windows is only available as a 32-bit application that may be used on 32-bit or 64-bit systems.
- For macOS Audacity 3.x is 64-bit.
- For Windows 7 and earlier, legacy versions of Audacity are available on the Legacy Windows downloads page.
- For macOS 10.12 (Sierra) and earlier, legacy versions of Audacity are available on the Legacy Mac downloads page.
- For Linux, the appropriate version of Audacity for your operating system is usually included in your distribution’s repository. Due to reported problems with SnapCraft / Flatpak / PPA versions, our current recommendation for Ubuntu / Mint users is to install the “deb” version from the main repository. Source code and user manuals for some old versions are available on FossHub.
- Although there are a number of sellers of Audacity software on ebay, Amazon, Microsoft Store and Apple Store, none of these sellers are affiliated to Audacity, and none have contributed in any way to the Audacity project. Audacity is free software.
- To build Audacity yourself, download the source code.
- You may copy, distribute, modify and/or resell Audacity, under the terms of the GNU GPL.
Other Open Source Audio and Audio-Visual Applications
- You can find links to other useful Open Source audio and audio-visual applications, that you can download and use, in the Audacity Wiki.