These versions are available on FossHub.
- Mac OS X 10.6: Audacity 2.2.2 (.dmg 32.7 MB)
- Mac OS X 10.5 Intel: Audacity 2.1.1 (.dmg file, 35.3 MB)
- Mac OS X 10.5 PPC: Audacity 2.0.6 (.dmg 30.9 MB)
- Mac OS X 10.4: Audacity 2.0.6 (.dmg 30.9 MB)
- For Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.3 (Intel): Audacity 1.2.5 (.dmg file, 3.4 MB)
- For Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.3 (PPC): Audacity 1.2.6a (.dmg file, 3.9 MB)
- For Mac OS 9: Audacity 1.0.0 (.sit file, 1.5 MB)
Installation instructions (OS X .dmg files):
- Inside your Applications folder, create a folder called “Audacity”
- Double-click the downloaded .dmg to mount it
- Option-drag the whole of the .dmg contents (not the .dmg itself) into the “Audacity” folder you created
- Double-click the Audacity icon inside the “Audacity” folder to launch the program
Plug-ins and Libraries
- Plug-Ins – Download additional effects and filters.
- LAME MP3 encoder – Allows Audacity to export MP3 files.
- FFmpeg import/export library – Allows Audacity to import and export many additional audio formats such as AC3, AMR(NB), M4A and WMA, and to import audio from video files. Be sure to download the FFmpeg version marked as compatible for your version of Audacity.
Additional Old Download Links
For other old versions of Audacity, try:
- FossHub: Left-click on text links to start download. This is the recommended option for old versions.
- Google Code: Click on the headings to sort the list.
- SourceForge: Has a few additional archaic versions.
Audacity runs best with at least 1 GB RAM and a 1 GHz processor. Where Audacity is to be used for lengthy multi-track projects, we recommend a minimum of 2 GB RAM and 2 GHz processor.