Hi all! Here are some updates for this week:
- The issue related to the download progress gauge appearing on the bottom corner has been fixed, though the size of the gauge itself still needs tweaking.
- In order to let the user know how large a model is prior to installing, model cards now show the model’s file size.
- ModelCard (a class for containing model metadata) was refactored last week so that it doesn’t hold on to the JSON document, but rather serializes/deserializes only when downloading from HuggingFace or installing to disk.
- I’ve started work on a top panel for the model manager UI, which will contain the controls for refreshing repos, searching and filtering, as well as manually adding a repo
In other news, Aldo Aguilar from the Interactive Audio Lab has been working on a Labeler effect built using EffectDeepLearning that will be capable of creating a label track with annotations for a given audio track. Possible applications of this effect include music tagging and speech-to-text, given that we can find pretrained models for both tasks.
- Continue work on the top panel for the model manager UI.
- Right now, the response content for deep models is all held in memory at once while installing. This causes an unnecessary amount of memory consumption. Instead we want to incrementally write the response data to disk.
- Dmitry pointed out that the deep model’s forward pass is blocking the UI thread, since it can process large selections of audio at a time. Though a straightforward solution is to cut up the audio into smaller chunks, some deep learning models require a longer context window and/or are non-causal. I will spend more time investigating potential solutions to this.
- Layout work for model manager UI. Right now, most elements look out of place. I haven’t spent as much time on this because I’d like to finish writing the core logic of the DeepModelManager before digging into the details of the UI.