Current Version: 2.4.2
To find out what’s new, visit the New Features section of the Manual.
Recommended Download – Latest Version of Audacity
- Left-click the Audacity .dmg link below to go to the Fosshub download page (where our downloads are hosted).
- Then left-click the Audacity macOS DMG link to start the download.
- Once the download has completed to your Downloads folder, Double-click the DMG file to mount it.
- Drag the Audacity.app icon rightwards onto the “Applications” folder shortcut.
- You can also drag Audacity out of the DMG to any other location. You need the administrator password to copy Audacity to “Applications”.
- Launch Audacity.app from /Applications or from your chosen location.
Do not double-click the “Audacity.app” in the DMG window to launch it. Audacity must not be run from the DMG.
- Audacity 2.4.2.dmg file (includes user manual)
SHA 256 Checksum:
FFmpeg and 64-Bit
Audacity 2.4.2 for macOS is now a 64-bit application.
If you use the optional FFmpeg library you will need to download the 64-bit versions of them.
Screen Reader Version
Versions 2.1.2 to 2.4.2 of Audacity are not sufficiently accessible for visually impaired users who use VoiceOver, and not suitable for OS X 10.5 either, so we provide the older 2.1.1-screen-reader version instead.
- Audacity 2.1.1-screen-reader .dmg file (38.61 MB, accessible version, Universal Binary for OS X 10.5 Intel/PPC Mac, includes user manual)
SHA 256 Checksum: b1913d3362a9221609bae7fab848a5cae93d786d178234c6018e3c95ddfd9d62
We do plan to make Audacity more accessible on Mac again in the future. We’re catching up with changes in the libraries we use.
Installation of Audacity
- Double-click the downloaded DMG to mount it.
- Drag the “Audacity.app” icon in the DMG window to the /Applications folder icon on the right. Alternatively, drag the “Audacity.app” icon to any other location of your choosing.
- Do not double-click the “Audacity” icon in the DMG to launch Audacity from there.
- Eject the DMG at bottom left of Finder, then launch Audacity.app from /Applications or from your chosen location.
Plug-ins: If you still have an “Audacity” installation folder for a version before 2.4.2, you will see working duplicates of Audacity’s shipped Nyquist plug-ins in the Generate, Effect or Analyze Menu. You may also see non-working duplicates of other previously shipped plug-ins. To clean up the duplicates please see: Installing and updating Audacity on Mac.
Before deleting the Audacity folder from a previous installation, remember to move any optional plug-ins you added to its plug-ins folder to the new Audacity Plug-Ins folder at ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/Plug-Ins.
Plug-ins and Libraries
- LADSPA plug-ins zip file – over 90 plug-ins. View Checksum.
- Plug-Ins – Download additional effects and filters.
- FFmpeg import/export library – Allows Audacity to import and export many additional audio formats such as AC3, AMR(NB), M4A and WMA, and to import audio from video files.
64-bit version required for Audacity 2.3.1 and above.
Alternative Download Links
- OldFoss hosts the current Audacity version and all previous versions from 2.1.2 onwards.
Audacity is for Intel Macs running macOS 10.15 Catalina, 10.14 Mojave and 10.13 High Sierra.
Audacity runs best with at least 2 GB RAM and a 2 GHz processor.
For lengthy multi-track projects, we recommend a minimum of 4 GB RAM and 4 GHz processor.
Older Mac operating systems/PPC Macs
For Mac OS 9 and Mac OS 10.0 through 10.12, legacy Universal binary versions of Audacity with Intel and PPC support are still available.