These are legacy versions of Audacity for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP. See System Requirements.
Please use the latest Audacity version in all other cases.
Left-click the text link to start the download
Note: If you see Application configuration incorrect when launching Audacity 2.0.6 or 2.0.0, download and install the appropriate Microsoft “Redistributable Package” as follows:
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)] for 32-bit Windows
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) for 64-bit Windows.
Audacity 2.0.6 for Windows 2000/other legacy systems
Version 2.0.6 of Audacity is the final version for Windows 2000, and for XP lacking Service Pack 3 (32-bit systems) or Service Pack 2 (64-bit systems). Also use 2.0.6 if your hardware does not support SSE 2.
- Audacity 2.0.6 installer (.exe file, 21.8 MB, including help files) for Windows 2000
- Audacity 2.0.6 zip file (8.5 MB) for Windows 2000 – use this if you want a smaller download (without help files), or cannot run the installer because of restricted permissions.
Audacity 2.0.0 for Windows 98/ME
Version 2.0.0 of Audacity is the final, recommended version for Windows 98/ME.
- Audacity 2.0.0 installer (.exe file, 19.2 MB, including help files) for Windows 98/ME
- Audacity 2.0.0 zip file (7.8 MB) for Windows 98/ME – Use this if you want a smaller download (without help files), or cannot run the installer because of restricted permissions.
Plug-ins and Libraries
- LADSPA plugins installer (.exe file, 1.5 MB) – over 90 plug-ins.
- Plug-ins – Download additional effects and filters.
- LAME MP3 encoder – Allows Audacity to export MP3 files.
- FFmpeg import/export library – Allows Audacity to import and export many additional audio formats such as AC3, AMR(NB), M4A and WMA, and to import audio from video files. Be sure to download the FFmpeg version marked as compatible for your version of Audacity.
Alternative Download Links
- If you have trouble with your download, or need an older version of Audacity, try:
- Google Code: Click on the headings to sort the list.
Windows 95 and NT are not supported. Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 require the latest version of Audacity.
The values in the “Recommended RAM/processor speed” column below are for tasks like recording for an hour, or editing three 20-minute tracks simultaneously. The values in the “Minimum RAM/processor speed” column will be fine for smaller/shorter tasks, especially if unnecessary programs are closed.
|Windows version||Recommended RAM/
|Windows 2000, XP||512 MB/1 GHz||128 MB/300 MHz|
|Windows 98, ME||128 MB / 500 MHz||64 MB / 300 MHz|
Generally, Audacity works best on computers meeting more than the minimum requirements in the table above. Where Audacity is to be used for lengthy multi-track projects, we recommend a machine of substantially higher specification than the minimum stated above. Please be aware of the extreme risks of running less than completely patched XP on a computer connected to the internet.