Current Version: 2.4.2
To find out what’s new, visit the New Features section of the Manual.
Recommended Downloads – Latest Version of Audacity
- Left-click the Audacity installer link below to go to the Fosshub download page (where our downloads are hosted).
- Then left-click the appropriate link on the Fosshub site (Installer or Zip) to start the download.
The (recommended) Installer download comes with the Manual.
The alternative Zip is smaller with no Manual,
but useful if restricted permissions prevent you from running the .exe installer.
- Then launch the downloaded .exe file and follow the online instructions (or unzip the .zip file)
- Audacity 2.4.2 installer (includes user manual)
- Audacity 2.4.2 zip file – smaller download (without user manual).
Plug-ins and Libraries
- Plug-Ins – Download additional effects and filters.
- FFmpeg import/export library – Allows Audacity to import and export many additional audio formats such as AC3, AMR(NB), M4A and WMA, and to import audio from video files.
Alternative Download Links
- OldFoss hosts the current Audacity version and all previous versions from 2.1.2 onwards.
- Google Code hosts selected previous versions up to and including Audacity 2.0.5.
- For advanced users, Alpha Builds are available for testing purposes. These are alpha builds from latest development code. Your help in testing and reporting bugs in these builds is invaluable. Note: These builds are less reliable than official releases. They should not be used as your production version of Audacity.
- Download links on FossHub for Windows Alpha Zip packages.
See the Compatibility table in the Audacity Wiki
The values in the recommended RAM/processor speed column below are for tasks like recording for an hour, or editing three 20-minute tracks simultaneously. The values in the minimum RAM/processor speed column will be fine for smaller/shorter tasks, especially if unnecessary programs are closed.
|WINDOWS VERSION||RECOMMENDED RAM/
||4 GB / 2 GHz||2 GB / 1 GHz|
Audacity works best on computers meeting more than the minimum requirements stated above. For lengthy multi-track projects, we recommend using machines of substantially higher specification than the minimums.
Older versions of Windows/old hardware
A compatibility table that includes old versions of Windows may be found on the Audacity wiki.
Audacity 2.4.2 is believed to work correctly on Windows 7, 8.1 and Vista, though please note that 7, 8 and Vista obsolete and no longer supported by Microsoft. More information about Audacity on Vista HERE.
2.1.3 (no longer supported) was the final version to run on Windows XP (which itself is no longer supported by Microsoft).
For Windows 98, ME and 2000, also for XP without the final Service Pack see Legacy Windows Downloads.